Hi, I have just trawled past forums to try to find definate answer to this problem, but nothing definate.
Problem is with M reg F78.
1. Turn ignition till glow plug lights go out then try to start engine, nothing.
2. Cannot hear starter trying to engage or turn, just a stony silence.
3. Can hear glow plug relay engaging.
4. If I turn key a number of times it all works as it should, however I have noticed that on the times that it starts with no problems I can hear a second relay clicking in. The sound from this relay appears to come from drivers side either in dash or engine compartment.
5. Mechanic just said its your starter, I am not convinced. I suspected starter relay, but arnt they on passenger side above glove box.
Would love to solve once and for all as sods law says it will pack in when stuck in snow drift.
100% certain not a battery problem.
Have also noticed some other irregularities, could they be related. Sometimes volt meter indicates charge at 18 volts with obvious increase in lights intensity. On the other hand sometimes there is a visible flicker on both headlight and instrument lights when charge nearer 13.5 v.
Help much appreciated, any new thoughts.