advice needed


Hi again everyone,
I'm about to drop my sportrak to the garage to get the drivers auto f/wheeling hub replaced.... they have started saying they dont know how long it will take and that something may break when they try and do it... i'm getting a bit fed up with them now.... how long should it take to replace 1 hub Unknw should i just take the part from them and get it done at a garage nearer to home Unknw
Or should i give up and get someone who knows what they are doing to retro fit manual hubs Unknw
I do need to have 4wd working cos of where i live, Any advice would be appreciated .

It should take someone compet

It should take someone competent no more than an hour to do. Someone with experience, and the correct tools even less.
Growing old is compulsary, growing up isnt, and

Please visit

Growing old is compulsary, growing up isnt.
I use billion dollar satellites, to find Tupperware.
Please visit
All views and advice offered are my own, from my ow

no luck

Hub has been replaced by the garage.. i was assured that they had tested it.. went out of the garage and tried it myself, lo and behold same horrible grinding noise coming from the car and no 4wd , they have now decided that its an internal gear/transfer box problem and are going to replace one or both of these....


PS . it took them 4 hours to fit ONE hub

.... did they bill you for 4 hours ?

Now, I don't know Sportys so well, but to fit a PAIR of manual FW hubs to my 4trak took me about 20 mins.

If they billed you for 4 HOURS, then I think your next stop is Trading Standards. We hear of the blatant ripoffs by so-called professional mechanics * and this bears all the hallmarks of one :mad:

I would be very wary of letting them anywhere near your gearbox, because you can expect a bill exceeding £1000 even for a proper job, especially because it seems that the cannot diagnose the difference between hubs and gearbox !

* They like to call themselves Engineers, BTW. If your name is Isambard Kingdom Brunel, then you can call yourself an Engineer, otherwise, like me, you go to Uni, then do 5 years postgraduate experience in industry, submit a resume, get interviewed by an appropriate Engineering Institution and only then get to call yourself a Chartered Engineer !

.... descends from soapbox

only a demon buys a lemon!

only a demon buys a lemon!

Hi Mate, if you ever do need hubs springs or anything else, try looking at Milner 4x4 website first. They are based in matlock, derbys, but do mail order, i have had a few bits off them and have worked out that i have saved a massive 68% on what i was quoted for parts only from the garage.

only a demon buys a lemon!