Greetings my fellow sporty owners. I just got my first car, a '94 sporty EXI. The sporty I got is the first petrol vehicle I've driven and I'm slowly getting used to it. There are a couple of things I'm not sure on though and I could do with a little advice on the following:
* Is there meant to be a whining sound when there's a lot of stress on the alternator? I've noticed that when stood still when idling with all the lights on, or when traversing at reasonable speed, there's a distinct whining sound from someplace in the vehicle which I assume is the alternator.
* It appears the rear demister is stuck on permanently, no amount of jabbing at the button or percussive maintenance does the trick to fix it. Also the hazard warning switch appears non-functional. Whereas the demister switch will audibly click when pressed, the hazard warning switch has nothing there.
* Is it the accelerator meant to be so sensitive? Within the range of about 20% depression of the accelerator I have reached 100% of the acceleration capability, the other 80% or so makes no difference.
* Why is there locking wheels AND a gearstick that selects between 2H, 4H and 4L? Surely with the locking wheels, there'd only be a need for HIGH and LOW gearing? Is it safe to leave the wheels locked and drive in 2H mode?
* Anyone know any good beginners offroading sites around the Birmingham (UK) area?
Thankyou in advance for your patience in answering my questions. So far overlooking these minor problems I'm quite chuffed at the sporty. Ever since a kid I've always admired their styling and overall "go-wherever-you-want" attitude